Sunday, October 10, 2010

Day Six: Rifftrax: Reefer Madness



Sometime early last summer, Deep Discount ran their semi-annual 25% sale, and I ordered a Rifftrax box set of 10 movies, along with some other things. DD sent me half my order, and the rest was backordered....and backordered.....finally last week the rest of my order - which was this box set and a handful of other movies, arrived. (I think DD kind of wanted me to forget the order - they kept sending me emails saying they hoped to send it out in a couple weeks, but that I was more than welcome to cancel the rest of the order if I wanted to. I'm all, uh-uh bitches, I want my cheap-ass movies. I'll wait.)




It ended up coming at the perfect time - there's a couple October favorites in the mix.  But I started with Reefer Madness - somehow or another I have managed to never see this movie, and I thought it sounded like fun.





Reefer Madness wasn't quite what I expected - for some reason I thought it would have more of a documentary type feel - but Mike Nelson and co. made for an enjoyable funny evening. Otherwise I think this film would be interesting as a time capsule type of thing, but I don't think it's anything I would watch again.

Rifftrax isn't quite Mystery Science Theater - but it's fun and in some ways, less intrusive than MST - fewer jokes and no silhouetted forms covering the screen.   Not that I mind that during MST - this is just a different format.

Last fall I went to a local theater to see Plan 9 on the big screen with the Rifftrax experience - in that format they frequently cut away to the Rifftrax gang live in the theater, doing their thing.  This format is quieter, more intimate - it's almost like having a couple of funny friends along to watch a movie with you.

By the way, I see Rifftrax will be doing the same thing this year with House on Haunted Hill - and I was set to go until I found that it was the same evening as the NOLD Puppet Show - and I think you all know where my loyalties lay in that regard. 

Yeah, boyeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I'm gonna go see zombie puppets at the Oriental that night.

No comments: