Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My Year of Free Movies Part 3


Thought I'd update my list from the last couple of months. Unfortunately the first couple months of this semester we didn't see much, but we've been seeing at least one a week for the last month or so....




The House Bunny - I heart Anna Faris. She is completely underrated as a comedic actress. She is the reason I own the first two Scary Movies and Just Friends. She's also in a great horror movie called May, with another actress I like, Angela Bettis. but I think Just Friends is probably her funniest performance ever. She completely kills in that movie. This one was good also, I hope it gets her more roles.


Elegy- The movie is interesting but the take-away message for me was :
Ben Kingsley is 65 FREAKING YEARS OLD.
And he is all kinds of SEXY in this movie.
Seriously.
Not kidding even a little bit.

Burn After Reading - I read some bad reviews for this movie (kind of almost saw that coming for their follow up of No Country For Old Men) but I thought it was fun and Brad Pitt was great.

Eagle Eye
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Body of Lies

Quarantine- I think this was the first mainstream horror movie that I saw at the theater this year that I really loved. Unfortunately during my year of free movies, there have not been many horror films. It's been a slow year. I know this is based on a Spanish film called [Rec] that I have not seen yet, but have heard that it's excellent. Usually the original is the better one, so I can't wait to see that if it's better than Quarantine. It was scary, fast-paced, and I held Papa Cash's hand through most of it. Also what else I liked about it - you never really knew what caused everything to happen. They give you hints, but never a complete and total explanation. And I like that. Some mystery can be a good thing. Mother Firefly does NOT need to be spoon fed. I wish other filmmakers would take a clue from this movie.

Secret Life of Bees- If you read the book, you've pretty much seen the movie. It wasn't a bad way to spend an evening, though.

W.- No big surprises here, didn't make me hate Bush any more than I already do, but Josh Brolin did a great job.

Pride and Glory: I'll watch Edward Norton do just about anything. I even saw the Hulk, for crying out loud, and that one movie where he plays a priest and Ben Stiller is in it and it's really lame. EN was great in this as per usual, but something about this movie was odd. It felt like one person directed the first half and then another one did the second half. I thought some plot and character choices were kind of odd but hey, it was free, and Edward Norton was in it. Enough said.


The Haunting of Molly Hartley: Okay. So remember I said not many horror movies came out this year? And I just cannot make myself see Saw V, so I picked this instead. I saw the ad. I knew and expected it would be somewhat retarded. But I really had no idea of the 90 minutes of pure unadulterated stupidity that I was in for. Holy shit. There are no words to describe just how full of DUMBASS this movie is. I will say that if you intend to see it anyway, make sure you have at least a slight background in movies about SATAN because this movie is pretty much going to assume you already have some ideas about SATAN's motivation for oh, anything SATAN might want to do, because the movie is really not going to fill you in. Nope.

Role Models- This was a last minute decision last night, and the only free one we could make it to in time. Hysterical. See it.

Enjoy the popcorn,
Mother Firefly

3 comments:

Jumbo's Lezis said...

I cant say I have seen any of these movies yet. I did want to see Quarantine but when I got to the theater it was gone and had to see Saw V (see review on blog). I am still looking for [Rec], it was supposed to be pretty intense.

Viking Wolf Woman said...

Yes- I can't wait to see it. I'm sure it's even better than Quarantine which should make it pretty damn awesome.

harleygirl13 said...

I haven't seen any of these but definantly want to see Quarantine. I think I have Saw IV not sure and need to sit down long enough and watch it.Then I will see 5.