Monday, November 9, 2009

Still Around

Wow.....I can't believe it's been an entire week since I posted. It feels especially weird after getting in the habit of writing every day. But - the end of the semester (the LAST semester!) is winding down, and I'm really committed to finishing everything that I possibly can before Thanksgiving. That's about three weeks before the official end of the semester - but I'm especially motivated to get all the school obligations finished up before the end of the month because....

I HAVE A JOB!!!

The whole job hunting process took about twice as long as I anticipated - after all, it wasn't that long ago that it seemed like my colleagues were picking jobs off trees....... I'll be starting orientation the first week in December - so I'd really like to start knowing that my school obligations are fulfilled.


So I've been busy in the last week organizing, planning out the rest of the semester, and putting the final touches on Version 3.0 of my clinical project. Then I got the good news, took a day to celebrate, and then woke up with a head cold....and spent the day watching football and napping.


The only thing I've had time to watch since Halloween was a Dimension Extreme film called Botched.

Stephen Dorff plays a thief who needs to do one last job to work off his debts to his boss. The job he thought would do just that ends going horribly wrong, so he's sent to Russia to steal a precious artifact. Since it's his last chance to put things right - or pay the consequences, we're pretty sure it's not going to go smoothly.
He's paired with a couple of Russian brothers - one painfully inept and the other with some real anger issues - who don't make the job any easier. The artifact is located on the top floor of a very tall building. The ride up goes just fine but the problems begin on the ride back down....

They end up with a full elevator of people who they get stranded with on a mysterious floor of the hotel.....the thieves attempt to take control by creating a hostage situation - but it's soon apparent that someone else is calling all the shots. Just who are these people they think they've taken hostage? Is that really hotel security on the phone? And why are there portraits on the wall made of human skin??

I thought Botched was fun - I didn't think too hard about it, and I liked the vibe of black humor that was going on. I also liked the chemistry between Stephen Dorff and Jamie Murray. She was also on the second season of Dexter - and I thought she did a great job as well. It was refreshing to see a female character who wasn't falling apart or relying on the man to figure everything out. Smart and pretty women in horror films - who knew?

I was curious to see if she'd done any other horror films, and through an IMDB search, I found that she did 'The Deaths of Ian Stone' (from the 8 Films to Die For series) and she's rumored to have a part in an upcoming film called Devil's Playground. IMDB says the movie is about a man's search for a cure to the zombie apocalypse - while he is slowly becoming a zombie himself. Could be interesting.

Well, I hope that life has a better balance this week, and it's not all focused on work... I did just get a shipment of horror films (via the Amazon horror sale) so I'm anxious to get into those. I have a few more Something Weird double features, a few classic films, and a couple of foreign goodies as well........

Happy Happy Joy Joy,
Mother Firefly

No comments: