Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Trilogy of Terror or, Scary Things Come In Little Packages

Trilogy of Terror. I'm not sure it's so appropriately named. While it's cool to see Karen Black play four different roles in the three short stories - I think a better title would be:

Two Stories that are So-So and One That WILL SEAR ITSELF ONTO YOUR BRAIN, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE FIVE YEARS OLD.

Because we all know, Trilogy of Terror is really about this dude right here:Booga. Nuff said.

I never actually saw this movie until just a couple years ago. But I'd still list this little turd as one of the absolute scariest things I ever saw as a kid. Because, one night, cuddled in bed with my mom, I saw the friggin' advertisement for this movie on the TV. That's all I ever needed.

One scene = scarred for LIFE.

I was so completely, utterly EFFING scared out of my skull, that I don't even know how I saw that and CONTINUED TO LIVE. Seriously. I already knew at five that the underneath of my bed was totally filled with monsters. Yep, Dracula, Wolfman, Mummy, and the mean monkeys from Planet of the Apes all lived down there, just waiting to get me. And that's why I slept with my back to the edge of the bed - because then they could only WATCH - turn over, and you're dead meat, buddy. (I know it's twisted logic - consider it a view into how the five year old brain works)

So here now I had a whole new monster to join the others - one WHO WOULD FIT DOWN THERE PERFECTLY. With his little weapons. Just waiting.

While I'm not scared of him any more - in fact, I watch this and think about how I'd take down 12 inches of possessed Zuni Fetish Warrior. Cause, hey, you never know, and some days I need a break from outlining my zombie survival plan.

Although, I have to admit the final scene is pretty chilling. (And you will just have to watch it on the outside chance that you don't know what I'm talking about).

So, in a nutshell, ToT is really a Trilogy, featuring three stories all titled with a different woman's name (or names), and all the women are played by Karen Black. The first two stories have interesting plots - but they barely get started before, boop, they're over.

If the third story didn't feature our creepy little friend here - and I suspect that the reason it's persisted in popularity has a LOT to do with memories similar to mine - I don't know that I'd be watching it, let alone buy it.

But Yay! We do have our creepy little friend, and even though he was almost the death of me, that initial terror is now among my myriad of happy memories of being completely, utterly terrified by monsters in the movies.

As I was writing this review, I wondered if maybe..just maybe......

YES!!!! DO FRIGGING WANT!!!!!
Available at Amazon, kids:
I could not put this on my wish list fast enough.

Don't forget to look under the bed,
Mother Firefly

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally agree! I saw this thing when I was about ten, and I'm 46 now. It still scares the living crap out of me. I think one of the most terrifying things about it is that it is so small, but has no fear. Bravo, thanks for the memories!