Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween Movie #2: Night of the Ghouls


Ed Wood is probably best known for Plan 9 From Outer Space, but Night of the Ghouls is probably my personal favorite.

It's about a scam artist , Dr. Acula, who pretends to be able to contact the dead. I love the fake seances, Tor Johnson, and 'ghost' lady who hangs out in the yard.

One great scene involves a widow who wants to contact her husband. For some reason, Ed chose to have the man's corpse lying in a casket, then sitting up and speaking to his wife from 'beyond the grave', even though he has been dead 'several years'. Favorite part within this scene is when the dead man in the casket (obviously a young man with a lot of bad aging makeup) closes his eyes and says 'I grow weary now'.....classic.

Another fun part is the cop who wanders around the property looking to bust the scam artist. He has a continuous inner dialogue that is pretty amusing but led me to wonder, can't this guy have a partner or something?

1 comment:

harleygirl13 said...

I have not seen this but will look for it. Sounds like my kind of movie.