Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day 18 Part II : Halloween II


A part II for movie for a day with two parts, how fitting. It's too bad that I find myself sitting here with only one word on my mind after watching Halloween II: Dull.

Yeah. I spent the film watching the time and hoping the flavor of my gum would last.

I have a confession to make - I am not the biggest fan of the Halloween franchise. I enjoy the first one and I think it's a great film - but for some reason or another, it does not stand out as one of the seminal films of my childhood. Meaning - horror movies I saw as a kid that scared the bejesus out of me. I'm not even sure when the first time was that I saw it - and I do remember very well the first time I saw other films like : Friday the 13th, Carrie, The Omen, The Exorcist, The Howling, Dawn of the Dead....I could go on and on.

At some point in my life (after spending my preschool years and beyond watching all the good classic stuff on TV) there came a point when I started watching more current films - and at some time, there must have been a 'first' for Halloween - but I just don't remember it. However, I remember very vividly the first time I watched Halloween III: Season of the Witch. And I remember watching Halloween II many times with my sister - it being one of her favorites. So go figure.

The truth is, I only bought Halloween on DVD in the last five years. When I watched it, I remembered a lot of it - so obviously I saw it at least once. I loved it. But I still have never seen any of the other films past III - with the exception of H20. I think I saw that one. Couldn't tell you one minute of it.

It's interesting that given the time period I grew up in, I watched the other franchises like Friday the 13th and the Nightmare on Elm Streets. So when the remake of Halloween came about, I didn't have the loyalty to it like a lot of other people - and I was more excited that it was a new Rob Zombie film than anything else.

And I really enjoyed the first half - but I thought the second half dissolved into just being ..... a remake. So I hoped that Zombie would put a whole new twist on this story and take us somewhere really fun - or at least give us something interesting to look at.
But.....uh, not really.



I've heard and read a lot of complaints about his use of Sheri Moon Zombie in Michael's hallucinations or whatever they were. I was actually grateful for her scenes, because at least they were visually more interesting than what else was going on. And although I really want to feel something for Laurie Strode - and I think given all the character has went through, that would be easy - but Scout Taylor Compton really leaves me kind of cold. And kind of annoys me. I was more bummed out when another minor character died than I was ever concerned or worried about Laurie Strode.

Oh well. It wasn't horrible - but if you'd bet me a couple of days ago that I was not only going to like Jennifer's Body, but think it was better than Halloween II, I'd have
said you were nuts. And I'd be giving you some cash today.

-Mother Firefly

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I felt the same way about Halloween 2. It was disappointing. I agree that Sherri Moon's character provided some interesting visuals. That whole angle gave a nice supernatural feel, which the film should've featured more of. Overall it just wasn't that interesting of movie. I love Rob Zombie and the Halloween series, but this one was lacking.

Jumbo's Lezis said...

I had high hopes for this, although I havent seen it, I am a little bummed to think it was as good as the first.

Viking Wolf Woman said...

A supernatural feel would have been very welcome.

I had high hopes for it also - I hoped now that he had done the actual 'remake' part, that he would just take it and run. And I really REALLY tried hard to like this.